Monday, January 9, 2012

Wayne Harris-Wyrick's "Why Am I Me?" in OKC newspaper

posted by Vivian Zabel  

    In today's Oklahoman, the main paper in the Oklahoma City area, is a short review of "Why Am I Me?" by 4RV author and editor Wayne Harris-Wyrick. I've copied and pasted the article below. Congratulations, Wayne.



YOUR LIFE
Family, friends stand out 
 

Charlotte Lankard    CLankard@ opubco.com   
 
   Being an only child, I never had a brother or sister looking out for me and cheering me on, so I particularly like it when readers give me a glimpse of what that is like
.
   A few weeks ago I wrote about three Oklahomans who authored books published in Oklahoma and sold at one of our Oklahoma independent bookstores. The next day I received an email from Randy Wyrick of Leander, Texas, who asked me why I didn’t mention his brother’s book. So I went right out and bought a copy.

   His brother is Wayne Harris-Wyrick, director of the Kirkpatrick Planetarium and author of a children’s book, “Why Am I Me?”    Dedicated to his son Ethan, Harris-Wyrick’s book explains the importance of things like dogs and cats, mountains and water, sunrises and sunsets, butterflies and flowers, rabbits and even skunks. About trees he writes, “Trees make fruit to eat and oxygen to breathe, give shade on a hot summer day and a place to climb and study the world from up high, with the birds.” Then he answers the child’s question, “What is special about me?” It is a good book for any adult to share with a child.    Since Harris-Wyrick, who writes a column for The Oklahoman, is an Oklahoman and easy to find at the planetarium, have him sign a book for that special child in your life.

   And to purchase the book, try another one of Oklahoma’s independent bookstores — Best of Books in Edmond’s Kickingbird Square. Julie Hovis will take good care of you.

   While I don’t have a brother like Randy Wyrick, I do have great friends, and because of this column I have met people all across the state. One of those folks is Jacquelyn Duncan, a retired Custer County associate district judge. 

     Jackie has invited me to her part of the state and we have visited here when she is in town.    After reading the column I wrote about my friend Arlene Johnson and her love of animals, I received the following email from Jackie and her own animal companions:    “Booray the Bichon Frise dog, Sookie the Maltese mix dog, Diva the calico cat and Red Beard the tiger stripe cat all join me in wishing you a 2012 filled with love, peace, health and happiness.”

   I wish the same for each of you.

   Charlotte Lankard is a licensed marriage and family therapist in private practice. Contact her at clankard@opubco.com  .




4RV Publishing 
4RV Bookstore  --  Christmas sale prices still in effect.



5 comments:

  1. After this appeared, two book stores ordered books and a gentleman came in to my workplace (as suggested by the author) to have me sign 2 books for his grand kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news, Wayne. What amazing things happen when the media brings something to the attention of readers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Wayne! The media really does speak.

    ReplyDelete