Sunday, January 8, 2012

Does an illustrator need an illustrated logo?

by Aidana WillowRaven

Today's topic is inspired by a conversation I had on Twitter. A fellow illustrator asked, "My new website is almost done but I'm stuck for a logo. Does an illustrator need a logo/icon? If so should it be illustrated? Thoughts plz."

My response, "Yes, an illustrator should have an illustrated logo identity, just like a designer should have a cool design for theirs."

I further commented, thanks to XLT (eXtra Long Tweet), "Also note, when you do decide which way to go, make sure it suits our own personal style. Don't just go with the norm. For example, when I was working on mine, every artist I knew had a cutesy caricature of themselves bent over at a drawing table. I knew this would not work for me. One, I don't do caricature. Two, I'm not silly, funny, or goofy, like many of my art friends, so it simply would not portray me or any aspect of my personality or how I look at my work. I thought about it, stared at my wall, then saw what I needed. On my wall was my sun hat, hanging just above the shelf that holds recycled tin cans holding a multitude of colored pencils and brushes. Suddenly, my logo was created. I just had to sketch it. took me a whole five minutes to do, including clean-up in PS. I have gotten more jobs because of this logo than I can count. Good luck! :D"


According to Wikipedia, logo is a graphic mark or emblem commonly used by commercial enterprises, organizations and even individuals to aid and promote instant public recognition. Logos are either purely graphic (symbols/icons) or are composed of the name of the organization (a logotype or wordmark).

In the days of hot metal typesetting, a logotype was a uniquely set and arranged typeface or colophon. At the level of mass communication and in common usage a company's logo is today often synonymous with its trademark or brand.

Your logo should define who you are and what you do, no matter what industry you are in. It is your first communication with clients and should be something you are comfortable with to continue using for a long, long time. After ll, you have a brand to build and plan to be in business a long, long time.

Don't rush it. Google/Bing "important logo tips," think about how you want to be seen, and have some fun. I mean, you ARE an artist. Stressing over a visual interpretation of yourself and your business is silly. :D






 Aidana WillowRaven
Art Director & VP of Operation




5 comments: